27 January 2012

Vegan Ceasar Salad

You know what is gross?  Anchovies.  You know what is super-gross?  Ground up anchovies.  I've never had a real ceasar salad in my life, but Kurt is a big fan.  Several years ago, at his suggestion, I tried my hand at a vegetarian ceasar salad that involved a coddled egg (which is like a raw egg but without the danger of poisoning yourself.)  It was tasty enough, but not really worth repeating in a hurry.  There was a big pack of organic romaine on clearance at the grocery store for $1, so I snatched it up and thought it time to try another ceasar recipe.  My friend Adam was recently singing the praises of the Post Punk Kitchen, so I checked there first and sure enough they had a much lauded vegan recipe.  I followed their recipe exactly, so I won't re-post it.  The only difference with mine is that I used some stale homemade spelt and teff bread instead of French or Italian, and kale instead of the optional spinach.  The recipe is really clever and uses caper brine for a vague fishiness and ground almonds for texture. 

No comments: