30 June 2012

Soba Salad

Soba noodles are a traditional Japanese noodle made from buckwheat.  They are also a classic old-school vegetarian food.  I didn't really know why until I looked them up and found out "Soba contains all eight essential amino acids, including lysine, which is lacking in wheat."  Boy oh boy do I love love love finding another food to throw in the face of people who like to say "humans need meat for the amino acids."  Please don't try and school me on nutrition unless you know what you are talking about!  Sorry for the rant, had to be said.  On to the recipe.

Boil soba noodles in plenty of water for 5 mins, drain and rinse in cool water.
In a large bowl, mix 1 T almond butter, 2 T rice wine vinegar, 1 t sesame oil, and 1 T Braggs until almond butter is all incorporated.   Toss the noodles in the sauce until evenly distributed.
Toss in any vegetables you have!  I like cucumbers, tomatoes and green onions myself.  Kick it up a notch with some sriracha and goma shio for interest and crunch!  Easy peasy.  Serve cold.

No comments: