02 December 2011

Wild Mushroom Macaroni and Three Cheeses with Truffle Oil

I love eating healthy most of the time, but I'm also a sucker for creamy pastas.  I happened upon this recipe right after I procured some fresh chanterelle and hen of the woods mushrooms in a Central West End alley.  Plus I had all of the other ingredients on hand already, so this dish was destined to be a part of our Sunday dinner.  I've adapted the original recipe to make it vegetarian, plus a few other changes. 
Please see the link for cooking instructions!


1 1/2 cups finely sliced chanterelle mushrooms
1 1/2 cups sliced hen of the woods mushrooms
2 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 tbsp sherry
3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp flour
3 cup goat milk, warmed
4 oz herb chevre, crumbled
4 oz sharp white cheddar, shredded
4 oz parmigiano reggiano, separated in 2 2oz piles
1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
2 tsp fresh rosemary, minced
1 tsp fresh sage, minced
2-3 tbsp white truffle oil, depending on how strong you like it (yes, this is some rich mac-n-cheese)
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 cup panko
10 oz elbow pasta - i used a corn based pasta and it worked well
kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper

2 comments:

Shaheen said...

Fresh chanterelle, oh you lucky thing.

e said...

Tell me about it. I did pay dearly for them though!